Monday, September 2, 2013

Grateful for simple clarity

2 Chronicles 6:40 (NIV)

“Now, my God, may your eyes be open and your ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place. …”
This is part of the prayer of Solomon leading into the dedication of the new temple. The entire prayer obviously is much longer and in many ways nationalistic. But this one line, stripped of its context, is something I wish I’d been more familiar with earlier in life.

Since I moved out of college (where I had five dorm rooms in four school years and one summer), I have lived under seven different roofs in a span of 12 years. And never once did I pray over the physical structure I called home or do anything upon my arrival except size up the pile of belongings to be hauled inside and steel myself for the labor ahead.

Maybe dedicating a house to the Lord or simply praying as a family before moving in is common among those more plugged in to daily scripture and prayer. Maybe not. I do make sure in prayers of gratitude to include the home as well as the people who live here, and I really try to not take our humble abode for granted.

Perhaps this verse jumped out to me tonight simply as something one might expect to see neatly painted on a gift item at the Christian bookstore. Maybe I’m plugged into our specific house after some recent furniture acquisitions and relocation as well as a day spent trying to get the yard just so heading into fall. Or I could just be grateful for the simple moments when the Bible writes my prayers for me.

Whatever the reason, these 19 words spoke to me tonight, and I thought I’d share them just in case they might be meaningful to anyone else.

A prayer for September 2:

Lord, may your eyes be open and your ears attentive to the prayers I offer. And may my eyes be open and ears attentive to your message for me. I trust you to hear and know everything in my heart, no matter if I am able to form the ideas into words ad thoughts. Yet I also know how the vagaries of my mind can keep me from thinking clearly and focusing on seeking your will for me. Help me find peace and clarity and show me the ways to best put my skills to use in your service. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment